Monday, February 4, 2008

how do we respond?

in genesis 17, at the age of 90, God visits with abram. he introduces himself "I am God Almighty" (El Shaddai)

then he tells abram to do 2 things: walk before him and be blameless.

in verse 3, abram's response is falling facedown...in reverence, worship, fear? has this calling really changed that much from back then to us today? to walk with God and to be blameless(not at fault for wrong). what's amazing to me is how my response to God is seldom like abram's. the almighty OnE reveals himself through creation, through every breath taken, through life in itself and yet it seems so normal. so..routine-ish. i am convinced that to walk with him, we must first know where he is and which direction he's going in. these are things that we can't control, we must simply adjust to. then the whole blameless thing, we have good amounts of control over what we do or do not do. we can choose to do what's right and be blameless...it's just so hard. but i believe that when we walk with him in intimacy and we when we draw closer to him because we are further from sin and closer to him, we realize how much we are not God and how much we truly do not deserve to be in relation with him. we also realize how good he is and how kind and generous he is. our response to that is worship. falling face down before an almighty God, because of who he is and what he has done. when God appears, our response is worship. not singing, worship.

how do you worship when you aren't at church or without your ipod?

how do you fall facedown before God Almighty?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's what I'm trying to figure out...

stephsharpe said...

In Psalm 13 David feels forsaken, he is like, why is your back turned back to me? I want to see your face, I want you to see me, I want to be in intimacy with you. At the end of the chapter he says "I will sing to the LORD, for He has been good to me." Through feelings of sadness and loneliness he can still sing. You don't need a band or an ipod to worship, you just need your heart fully given to God to worship even through harsh times.