Monday, February 11, 2008

too difficult to change...

what a difficult thing to give up what is most valuable or important to one in life. im not sure how i would respond if God were to ask me to give up that one thing which is most valuable in life. there is too much pain, hurt, and maybe even unforgiveness that comes with it. when things get taken away, it bothers me enough already. but when i m asked to give things up out of my own will, its pretty difficult. cutting out things that are invaluable seems to be a cinch. but it's those things that hold some kind of value to me, those are the things that i find trouble letting go of.

in gen.22, abraham is asked to let go of his son -- the one that God told him he was going to have, the one that he had been waiting nearly 20 years for, the one who would carry on his name and be a blessing to the rest of the world. God not only asks abraham to let go, but he actually tells him to cut him off of himself (sacrificing him). that's crazy.

what's even crazier is that abraham doesn't even argue with God. no conversation about the matter-- nothing. he gets up, takes his son out on a few days trip, sees the place, goes up, builds an alter, ties his son up, and gets ready to sacrifice him on the alter -- all because it's what God asked him to do.

for all of you who are not familiar, God intervenes and gives him mad props for not withholding even his son from God. abraham becomes known as the 'father of our faith.'

pretty cool name, but the title came at a cost. it nearly cost him the one thing that he cared about most.

can it be that there are things in life that God calls us to 'cut off' from ourselves? things that don't please him? things that He knows are not in our best interest? and maybe, just maybe, because He wants us to be obedient, no matter the cost.


how would you respond if God called you to get rid of the thing that you value most?

how do you obey God when it doesn't make sense or when it seems too difficult?

let me know.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I would like to say that I would obey full heartedly but I don't really know. It's harder to let go of things that we hold so dear. Honestly, if that time does come I hope that I will respond in the manner in which the Lord asks of me.

stephsharpe said...

I think it has to do with focus, If we focus on the fact that worldly things will diminish I think it'll be easy to let go, I guess we should all be Spartans and only live with things of necessity, then we won't have to give up things because we don't have anything, lol.

Merari said...

Wow... I agree with you. I have no idea how i would act. I hope that i will do as He commands, but i know that even if i did, i would hesitate.
Guess this is something to pray about, huh? ;0)


ps... this is the link to that hit counter thing you asked me about...
http://www.easycounter.com/FreeCounter3.html

Gabby said...

great post dave...makes me think about what i would do
it makes me see my imperfections even more clearly


ps - i really enjoyed zeal last night

(it's alexandra's bf by the way)

Janell said...

i'd probably freak out and pretend it never happened...i guess this is something to really think about..cause i know there are things in my life that dont glorify God and i can do without... i guess this is where faith comes in..i think i need some