Thursday, February 21, 2008

control le bouche...(french for 'the mouth')

have you ever noticed how some folks find it difficult to control what they say? sometimes it's those soccer moms that are too competitive; the ones that yell at 4 year old kids trying to distract and belittle them. sometimes it's those people that are too smart, even for themselves. sometimes it's the people that you work with, live with, do life with. either way, controlling what we say is critical to our character and development. both now, but more importantly in the future. as we continue to grow in life and relationships, do you always think before you speak? do you always speak to those that will in turn spread what you have shared?

proverbs 13:3
he who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

what steps have you taken to control what you say?

how do you monitor what you speak out loud?

who loves you enough to correct you in truth?

fill me in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lesson I've had to learn!

Sometimes I think my mouth has a mind of it's own...an evil mind! I've learned to filter what I say and bite my tongue...sometimes it "slips" anyway. It's really all about discipline. I love how the Bible says, "be slow to speak..." Everyone is trying to get their voice heard and trying to be the first to come up with a smart response...but perhaps we should take our time and really formulate a wise response.

Anyway, lucky for me, the people around me always let me know when I say something stupid. Or inappropriate. God bless good friends!

stephsharpe said...

I've noticed lately that people speak quickly, being the opposite of what Kristel said "slow to speak..." Something that I have just recently noticed is that when I practice what I am going to say it comes out easily and not foolish. I've been trying to live more wise like it says in Proverbs, it's not even close to perfect, but I'm getting better and better.
I just have to say that if people think of what people might ask them or have a conversation about its good to practice, it sounds kind of dumb to do, but it works.