Friday, February 22, 2008

time for change...


tonight i shared a tough message with the ms/hs students at MBC. we touched on the idea that God gives to us, so that we can give to others. not for self comfort or satisfaction; it's a means to something greater. as i prepared, i came face to face with numbers, faces, and lives of so many displaced and hurting people. real, actual human beings. after doing some homework on invisible children, i was deeply moved. it's been racking my brain -- what can i do TODAY to make a change. im sure i can give a few bucks here or there. but truly, what can be done now?

call me crazy, but do you think that it would be possible to organize something here in miami to help those who are in need of help? to provide some form of relief to those that suffer from social injustice?

im not talking about a rally or a info gathering. rather a place where a group of people committed to change can actually stand together for something greater than themselves. can we do that?

something else that keeps me up at night, it's not the church that's leading the way towards social reform, towards educational reform, toward defeating poverty, sickness, or any other killer of life. why is that?

do you think that it would be possible for 'church' to be the one to lead the way to world reform? not gov't. not obama, mccain, hillary, or even hannah montana. nope. just the hands and feet of the savior; the church.

tell me, what would it take and would you be willing to be a part of it.

let me know - maybe this is the beginning.

3 comments:

stephsharpe said...

I totally understand, since I found out about slavery in other countries it just hit home. There's some kid in the midwest, who has become famous because he chose to do something about it which i think is amazing. Maybe we could devise a plan where a group of people could go to Africa ( I know there already is one) and not only invite church members but the community to help, join, go to Africa as well. If the community sees that were not doing the normal stuff like church events I think they'll most likely help, join or go. Anyway, great idea, when I come back home this summer, I'll totally help and join.

Anonymous said...

Hmm....tough stuff. I often wonder the same thing, but I have yet to discover any answers.

I read a blog about politics and the guy said something about if we vote the right person to be president (I'm pretty sure he was a Ron Paul fan, though he didn't say) that we can limit government and thus the Church can step up and start helping others and doing its job, instead of the government.
Not sure if I agree with that or not. I mean, the Church SHOULD be helping...but I don't know that it will step up if we limit government...

Just some thoughts. Read that blog post here:
http://abeautifulcollision.blogspot.com/2008/02/voting-and-politics.html

Merari said...

I've thought about this too.

Personally, I have great plans to built orphanages, and bring education to the edges of third world countries.(Haha, true story.) But that's not happening anytime soon.

I try to do my part but i know i can and should do ALOT more. And so should the church.

I think the church can take the lead in social reform. I see it, specially with the Catholic church in Central America. I have no ideas on how to make that happen here though... I guess be like Nike and just do it.

We are at least heading in the right direction here at home with the Homeless Network at Zeal.